Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Surfing event

Ocean Beach was an amazing site today.  The weather was sunny and balmy with clear skies and a slight breeze.  I had decided yesterday when I read the morning newspaper that I should check out the surfing event that is supposed to be occurring in our very own city.  It seemed so unusual to me that a world-wide surfing contest would be here.  Our beach is often filled with surfers testing the waves, but never have I heard of a competition right under my nose. 

Yesterday in the late afternoon I walked down to the highway by the beach and headed North to the site of the event.  Sure enough--there was a huge tent on the beach and lots of young people streaming home before sunset on bikes, on foot, on skateboards.  There was also a  lot of automobile traffic headed south from Land's End--maybe checking out the site.

Today, I wanted to see for myself up close what was happening.  At 2:00 I had an urgency to leave my house, so I dropped what I was doing, picked up my cell phone, a few dollars, my cap, and sunglasses and headed out the door towards to the beach.  At first I walked on the promenade path, but when I reached Noriega Street, I decided to cross the highway and walk on the beach.  I paused a moment on the sanddune to look at the sparkling ocean view and then I decided to venture down the steep sandy hill, stepping very carefully so my shoes wouldn't fill with sand.  When I reached the bottom, I went right to the edge of the water where the incoming tide makes the ground harder and easier to walk on.  I walked slowly, not knowing what to expect when my destination was reached.  It was such a beautiful day to just watch the seagulls soaring in the sky and the little plovers walking briskly and then stopping to eat a morsel they found.  I stopped to pick up a shell and examined it for perfection, since it's difficult to find a whole shell due to the churning water breaking them.  People with dogs passed me by going south and other people walked briskly North, in the direction I was headed.

Finally I saw the tent up ahead and a throng of people standing close to the water's edge.  Other people were sitting in chairs further away.  There were also a few huge cameras set up in the sand pointed out towards the surf.  I stopped and asked people questions--some kind of silly, but I was looking for information.  One young man explained that there were two buoys and a boat out in the ocean and between them is where the surfers were coming in.  I looked in that direction and I saw a huge wave and a little figure on a surf board emerging from under the crest.  He righted himself, disappeared as the wave came crashing down, and then appeared again upright and came gliding into shore.  I heard the crowd give a resounding ovation.  The man next to me said, "I think that was 'Slater.'  I think he just won his 11th World Championship."  I remember reading something in the newspaper, but had no idea I would actually see the event. 

Next a young woman with a little girl playing in the sand talked to me.  She said that they were going to give "Slater" an award after the current heats.  So I walked up to the tent area where people were gathering in front of a stage.  I was close enough to see a man in an orange shirt emerge from the curtain amid cheers from the crowd.  A man with a microphone talked to the gathering and gave Kelly Slater a huge trophy, which he accepted graciously.  He spoke a few words but seemed a bit tongue tied.  Later on the evening news he was able to talk a little more to a newscaster.  I tried to get a photo with my new I-phone, but unfortunately I was too far away for the camera.  What was amazing is that I was able to see him myself with my "new" eyes, after my cataract surgery last week. 

I was so happy that on this awesomely beautiful, warm tropical-like autumn day I was able to be present at this historic event.  Today made up for the long, dismal summer of depressing fog.

The surfing will continue on until Nov. 12, but I'm not sure how long the weather will hold up.  Supposedly, rain is forecast for Friday and the weekend.  But that's the way it is here in "my fair city by the Bay."

No comments:

Post a Comment