Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Coffee Break

Studying for a language test can be very draining.  Since my husband took my car to drive down south to a family funeral, I figured I had all day to review all my notes and memorize words.  By 2:00 I had avoided doing much work and I was very tired and listless.  A nap seemed in order, but then I looked out the back window and discovered that the dreary morning gray overcast had turned into blue sky in our neighborhood.  The air was still and a light cloud bank hovered over the ocean on the horizon.  I knew a little fresh air and exercise would do me good.  Besides I was craving a fresh cup of coffee from the local bakery.

I grabbed my pedometer and a grocery bag and left the house, turning west at the corner toward the beach.   The air was warm and I didn't need the layers of clothing I had worn, but I kept walking to the promenade.  I decided to lengthen the walk to the grocery store by proceeding to the south and crossing at Pacheco St. to the beach side of the Great Hiway.  The ocean was very calm and a few surfers were riding the waves, but what intrigued me was a flock of birds near the incoming tide.  It looked as though a group of plovers were having a convention.  They were all quietly mingling together in a loose aray by the water's edge.  A man was sitting on a log a few feet away from the birds apparently observing them, and along came another man strolling down the beach.  As he drew closer to the flock, the birds started moving south, a few at a time and then more and more they picked up speed moving the entire flock down the beach a few feet.  Then as the man walked past the group, the birds started moving in the other direction returning to their original position.  It was a like a pack experience-one bird started migrating and the rest followed.

When I reached Noriega, I left the beach and headed up the block, still drooling for a cup of coffee.  As I approached the "Devil's Tooth", I discovered a pleasant surprise--the bakery had a new addition.  It was an outdoor seating arrangement located next to the sidewalk in the street area.  Apparently the city is helping small businesses put in some open-space seating.  Since I had some time before the bakery closed at 4:00 p.m. I decided to do my shopping first at the vegetable market.  The owner of the market was relaxing with family members in the open seating, so I said "hello" and went across the street to buy some green vegetables to go with my kasha vegetable pilaf for dinner.  When I returned to the bakery I ordered a scone and French-pressed coffee which they made fresh for me.  It was very uplifting to sit outdoors in the sun, sipping coffee and watching the school kids drawing with chalk on the sidewalk.  I'll have to do this more often. 

Well, I've procrastinated long enough.  I'd better return to my Lithuanian studies.  I still have a few hours of the day left before my husband returns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment