Friday, July 11, 2014

My Inspiring Sea.

While driving home, I noticed the Pacific Ocean in front of me--sparkling, dancing under a rim of blue sky and sunlight with a conopy of blue gray clouds overhead.  It was inspiring and I felt a poem blooming in my mind.  I have never been able to write poetry before but lately poems surface without much effort.  Today's poem was having a difficult birth.  I know what I wanted to say, but the words would not fit together.  So, after dinner I took a walk down to my favorite promenade on the Great Highway.

Before I crossed to the sea wall side across the Highway, I saw a youngish woman in a wet suit and a surf board heading for the beach.  I asked her how the surfers knew to run down to the waves, and she explained it was a combination of things--the weather, the tides, the waves.   Then I noticed how the surf seemed fairly calm tonight, medium waves and very still air.  As I walked a little way on the promenade,  words started forming into a poem.  Then I sat down on one of the built-in concrete benchs, pulled out my cell phone, clicking on notes,  and what do you know--  I was able to write the poem while watching the sea.

It is always transforming right before my eyes,
Reflecting the light from the ever-changing skies.
Sometimes, it is brooding--so somber and grey.
                                               Then it turns its soul to a quiet, reflective way                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          At times it dances--sparkling and bright
At others, it roars with menacing might.
I think its moods are a reflection of me--
THIS MOVING, FLUID, LIVING SEA.


No comments:

Post a Comment