Friday, September 2, 2011

Jury Duty

Last week I was summoned for jury duty.  It had been a few years since I was last called, so I thought it might be interesting.  Besides it was my duty as a citizen.  So, with a great deal of commitment, I arose early each morning so I could be on time to the courthouse in Civic Center.  The first day, Bill drove me to West Portal Station, where I boarded a street car headed downtown.  Arriving in the jury room, I secretly wished I wouldn't be picked, but sure enough, I was picked in the first batch to go to a court room.  Then I was the fourth person picked to sit on the panel, and I was never removed through the long interrogation process.   

So each day I left the house and walked the one and a half blocks to the bus stop in the early morning fog.  I took the 16 express which was a very pleasant and expedient ride to the Civic Center.  I arrived early, had my cup of coffee and then went upstairs to my court room.  It was almost like going to work again. 

I concentrated very hard, and took notes on the steno pad they gave us.  After awhile, I was beginning to realize that it would be difficult to make a decision.  It appeared as though the Plaintiff had a case and the Defendant's case was very weak.  I really felt a lot of compassion for the defendant, but in the end the Plaintiff won.  It was the big corporate guy against the poor underdog.  Almost the entire panel voted with the Plaintiff but we all felt so sorry for the defendant.  I walked out of the courtroom not looking at anyone.  The Plaintiff's lawyer was smiling, but I could hardly smile back since I felt very depressed about the decision made.  I hope the defendant is able to
get some help to start her life anew. 

The main thing I learned from this trial is to document carefully all your transactions and to communicate clearly what it is you want to do.  If you are having difficulties, don't feel embarassed to ask for help.  Pride can be deadly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment