Friday, September 2, 2011

Other Neighborhoods

Last weekend, my oldest son and two friends drove here from Oregon to attend a "Giants" baseball game.  My youngest son, Dave, planned to take them on a walking tour on the way to the stadium, and at the last minute I decided to join them.  I was so glad I did since I experienced a part of S.F. I never had before.

We left my house at ten in the morning walking down the wet streets in the drizzly fog.  The 18 Sloat came fairly quickly so we boarded it and then transferred to the bus on Sloat Blvd. riding it all the way to Monterey Blvd where our walk started at the Sunnyside Conservatory. 

The Conservatory was just reopened about a year ago and I've been wanting to see it. The gardens are open, but the actual building is only used for community events or can be rented for weddings.  We peeked through the window of the building to see beautiful tiled floors and a chandelier--it is small inside but beautiful.  The garden is very relaxing to walk through, but we didn't stay long.  We headed out the gate and then onward and upward.  I can't really describe the walk exactly, because I can hardly remember where we were.  In fact, at times, I looked around and did not know where we were--it was all new to me.  I do remember walking up a very lovely dirt path with houses on either side and beautiful flowering plants and bushes peaking out and over fences.    We stopped to look at the plants and Joe seemed to be able to identify them.  We also stopped to check out a block yard sale, talking to the neighbors and cats, and examining items.  Joe bought a plastic inflatable earth which he will use for his first grade students.

At some point we crossed O'Shaunessy Blvd and also Mission Street.  The entire walk was through narrow streets, alleys, walkways, stairs with beautiful foliage and quaint homes.  I had been through all these neighborhoods but never really saw them until I went on foot. 

On Mission Street, we stopped at the Lelenita Bakery, where they sell special wedding and birthday cakes.  I went in looking for cookies, but they only had some corn and cheese crackers from Guatamala.  They rest of the group bought papusas at the restaurant two doors down and we then walked to Holly Park to eat them while looking at a view of the city and the downtown business area in the distance.  After filling our bellies and feeling refreshed we headed out again, ending our walk at  Precita Park.

By the end of the walk, I was very tired and my muscles were sore, but the sun was out and it was a beautiful day in the Bernal Heights area.  I bought a cappacino and waited on a bench outside the coffee shop until my husband picked me up.  The group all split up here--David went to pick up a friend and the other three took a bus to the ballpark.
Bill and I went to the 49er game.  The day ended in thick, drizzley fog with the 49er second string losing the game and the Giants winning--but that's another story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment