Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My evening walk

This was the day I have been waiting for since June.  I woke up to a beautiful, sunny warm day, but unfortunately I didn't spend much time outdoors.  I had my Ollie classes today and hardly went outside, since the Muni streetcar stops underground and I went right into the Westfield Center from the station.  On the way home, it was the same.
So, after dinner, the ocean was beckoning me to take a walk.

I left my house a little after 7:00 p.m. and the sun had already set, but it was still light enough.  The evening was crispy clear with a little chill in the air, but I could tell the day had been warm.  The air smelled so fresh and there was a beautiful red sunset.  The ocean waves were a bit choppy, but the beach reminded me a little of Hawaii. 

I hurried down to the prominade walk and headed North, parallel to the ocean, but on the east side of the Great Highway.  There were still lots of people walking, jogging, cycling and pushing strollers.  It seemed like everyone was rushing, however, trying to finish up their exercise before the light faded.  I definitelly stepped up my pace trying to reach the stoplight on Lawton, where I turned around to walk back to Noriega.  This gave me 6 blocks of walking plus the five I had walked earlier on my return homefrom class.

As I walked up Noriega Street, I was amazed by the activity on the two blocks between 46th to 44th Avenue.  There were still people heading towards the beach and more people in the little businesses.  The Asian Restaurant, which is usually empty, was full of groups of people dining leisurely.  Next door at the Pizza Place, young people (in their 20's or 30's) were sitting at the bar chatting while others enjoyed their pizza dinners at little tables.  Across the street at Noriega Produce, the vegetable guy was busily putting away the fruit and vegetable stands that line the outside of the store--he didn't even look up as I passed.  The Tacos Restaurant had a few people inside, and the coffee shop was busy also--a gray-haired lady sat in the window relaxing with her glass of wine.  Next was the wood shop, where they apparently make surf boards.  I have never seen anyone in the wood shop when I have walked by, but tonight there were several men talking in the front part of the shop.  The Veterinary Clinic was closed, but outside the pub a few people were hanging out chatting.  Then on the next block were two men talking about the little pooch that one of the men had on a leash. 

It was an amazing evening.  Having a beautiful sunny day really changes people's moods and everyone is more friendly.  Please can we have some more days like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment