Friday, November 13, 2015

Poems about Holidays

Halloween

On a cold, dark night unable to sleep,
I hear rattling doors and winds howling  from the deep--
Scary sounds that can bring feelings of dread,
But I stay huddled safely in my warm bed.
________________________________________________________________
October 31, 2013

In Autumn's eves years before my birth,
The ghosts of ancestors roamed the earth.
Now-a-days kids in costumes fill the scene
Calling house to house on this feast of
Halloween.
______________________________________________________________
Ash Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My intentions for the next forty days
Are to try and mend my indulgent ways.
I will reflect, meditate, and pray
And be mindful of the words I say.
I will be aware of the food I have taken,
And share with those who have been forsaken.

(I was inspired by Father John's sermon at St. Gabriel's Mass)
______________________________________________________________________
April 19, 2014

All dressed in my black and white attire,
I sang for three hours with Holy Name Choir.
In the Easter Vigil in candlelight--
A beautiful ceremony before Midnight.
______________________________________________________________________
July 4, 2014

Happy Birthday to you,
"My Country tis of thee."
May you always be a Beacon
To those striving to be free.
_____________________________________________________________________
December 2014
A meditation on "Winter Solstice."

From the darkness we flee
To the warmth inside
Where Peace is found 
And our hearts reside.

In silence we come
To the end of the Year
And the light returns
To Remove our fear.

So gather your friends and family around.
And share life's gifts so love will abound.  
_________________________________________________________________

After Christmas

Why do I feel so sad while taking down my tree?
Is it because the festive days are over
With all its fun and glee?
Or because of memories that are stirred 
of happy days long past,
When we were young and
thought our days would last.

The dried-up tree has been taken outdoors,
And my house is swept and neat.
It's time to start making memories anew
And a Happy New Year to greet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment